THE 21st CENTURY
A Chinese Fellowship started at Queen's Hall. Later Kok Kong Yap, Chinese
minister, came to Derby and was stationed full time in the Derby Circuit
The history of the Chinese church in Derby can be found on the Derby Methodist
Circuit web site.
300th anniversary of John Wesley's birth celebrated with an exhibition at
St John's Methodist Church, shown at Borrowash Methodist Church and then in
Corden Street 1911 - closed 2008
A mission that started in the open air in 1876 moved to Siddals Road, and then
A group from Traffic Street split off and moved to Pear Tree Road Public Hall
until Corden Street was opened in 1890.
Mackworth 1956 - closed 2009
It took more than 100 years after the first Wesleyan School on Radbourne Lane
before a Methodist church arrived in Mackworth.
The new estate started in 1951 and the Methodist church opened in 1956.
It joined the circuit in 1961.
Mackworth Methodist Church closed its doors for the last time at Easter 2009.
This was not the first time that the doors had been closed on Mackworth
Methodists. The Centenary Memorial book 1905 for King Street Wesleyan Chapel
contains the following information about Methodism in Mackworth:
"Prior to 1849 there had been a Methodist School for boys run by Thomas
Russell MA. As a school master he achieved exceptional success for some of the
best known ministers and missionaries were educated in his school.
Among these were Gervase Smith (President of Conference), his brother George
Smith, John Baker MA, Josiah and Edwin Cox, John Parkes,
G Wright Russell, John Lamplough and Thomas Selby.
Three of these went out as missionaries to China. Several tutors also entered
the Wesleyan ministry, among whom were Steven Harvard, Frederick Greeves
(President of Conference) and Joseph Blanche.
"During his residence in Mackworth the village had a place on the Derby Circuit
plan. His dining room was used for preaching.
He ran two classes for the villagers, his own family and some of the senior
scholars from the school. This activity came to an abrupt end when the village
squire intimated that the preaching and class meetings must cease.
The doors were closed and years later Mr Russell moved to Derby and became
intimately connected with King Street Chapel until his death in 1886."
It took more than 100 years before a Methodist church arrived to serve the
Mackworth housing estate. In the spring of 1950 builders started to dig out the
footings for houses near Kingsway, the start of a large housing estate.
Six years later Mackworth Methodist Church opened on Princes Charles Avenue.
It is said that the weather in 1956 was the worst in living memory and it
delayed building work and consequently the opening in November. Initially under
the guidance of Queen's Hall, Mackworth eventually joined the circuit in 1961.
It was not long after the church celebrated
a 50th anniversary that the decision to close was made. The final services were
held on April 19th 2009. Kim Nally preached in the morning at 10:30am and there
was a united service 'Songs of Praise' at 6pm.
Derby Circuit formed August 30th
There were three Derby Circuits with a total of twenty-four active churches,
twelve churches in Derby South, seven in Derby Derwent and five in Derby East.
Derby Methodist Circuit was formed as an amalgamation of the three previous
The Chinese Church also became part of the new circuit and now meet at
Ashbourne Road Methodist Church.
Queen's Hall 1861 - closed 2012
Originally London Road, opened in 1861. After extensive alterations the
church was renamed Queen's Hall Methodist Mission in 1927. The
modern façade that we see now was added in 1965. A fire in Holy
Week 1991 destroyed the inside. The church was repaired and
rededicated at Pentecost 1992. As less people lived locally and the DRI
main hospital moved to the Royal Derby, Mickleover, Queen's Hall
Methodist Mission finally closed in 2012.
Darley Abbey 1959 - closed 2014
The Darley Abbey Wesleyan society met in the schoolrooms and had to wait more
than 100 years before they could have a place of their own.
The house called "Westleigh" proved a vital meeting place until this Methodist
church opened in 1959.
Darley Abbey enjoyed the benefit of the Methodist Church
for more than 50 years but the congregation continued to dwindle until they
sadly agreed that they could not justify continuing to meet as a church in
250th anniversary of First Methodist Chapel in Derbyshire
More than 100 people took part in a walk through the city centre to visit points
of Methodist interest culminating in a rousing hymn in Derby Cathedral.
See Part 5 that describes the occasion.
Liversage Square houses purchased.
Since the closure of Queen's Hall there has been the need for a Methodist
presence in the city centre.
Two houses in Liversage Square purchased by the Derby Methodist Circuit are now
occupied. One called Susanna Wesley House is being developed as
a Methodist mission centre.
The churches still open in the Derby Methodist Circuit are shown below.
Many had humble beginnings and most of them are an offspring from another
church. For more details about current activities visit the church
or the Derby Methodist Circuit web site.
DERBY CIRCUIT CHURCHES (Derby South until 2009)
The oldest chapel still in use in the Derby Methodist circuit.
The Wesleyan Methodists met in a brick house or hovel, C1825,
that appeared on the Lord's Day Plan of 1826 until the chapel was opened
The first Wesleyan chapel in Chapel Lane is dated 1816. The church shown above,
in the High Street, opened in 1873 and is a fine example
of an unaltered Victorian church.
A Wesleyan Methodist group in Alvaston appeared on the Lord's Day Plan of 1826
and the Methodist New Connexion had a chapel at the other end of Brighton Road.
Dean Street 1905
Started as a mission room 1884, then a house 1885-1888 in Harrison Street.
The schools (used during the erection of Firs Estate Board School) were then
acquired until 1905.
There was a Wesleyan chapel in 1825 and a Primitive church in 1880.
Littleover Methodist opened in 1958 with members from the Primitive Methodist
church on Burton Road and from the United Methodist church in Becket Street.
St Thomas' Road 1968
The original chapel was built in 1907. When Dale Road closed in 1963, members
and money came to St Thomas' Road. Soon after a new church was built which
opened in 1968.
A primitive chapel in Mount Street 1874-1939 was the cause of Newmount Methodist
Church opened in 1939 and still in use next door to the new church built
St Martin's 1973
The first Methodist meetings were in Upper Moor Road by the Crown. Then Flint
Street opened in 1930 and is now the church hall for St Martin's.
When the Osmaston Methodists closed about 1967, members and assets moved to
Shortly after Davenport Road Methodists also moved to Flint Street.
The bigger congregation made possible the new church.
Sinfin Moor 1974
There was a Wesleyan chapel in Sinfin Moor Lane opened 1870.
The first ecumenical group to meet in Derby was at No 1&3 Ryan Close 1969-1974
until the new church was built.
Haven CC 1999
A congregation formed as Littleover Ecumenical Church started meeting
at the Littleover Community School in 1989. There was a need for a church in
the new suburb called Heatherton Village and in 1999 the modern ecumenical
church, comprised of Anglicans, Methodists and Baptists opened on Holly Brook
The United Reformed Church joined later.
Station Road church, 1914-2000, became home for the Wesleyans and the Primitives
when they united in 1932 to form the Mickleover Methodist Church.
The new Church, opened in 2001 on the same site, is the newest Methodist Church
DERBY CIRCUIT CHURCHES (Derby Derwent until 2009)
Mansfield Street 1890 now called Chester Green since 2014
A small Primitive chapel that has changed little since opening in 1890 to serve
the Chester Green community. Closing in 2017.
The original Wesleyan chapel or 'meeting house' opened in Lover's Lane
(now known as Church Walk) in 1821.
This chapel opened in 1895 when Allestree was still a small village.
St John's 1964
In March 1960 the old King Street Society had finally closed, only for plans
to be made for a new church, in the Park Farm Area of Allestree, to be built
with its assets.
Membership was transferred to form a society in Allestree that met in various
Communion services were held at St Nicholas' Anglican Church until St. John's
church with a direct link to the visits of John Wesley in Derby was opened
Ashbourne Road 1998
First started as a mission outreach from King Street in 1871. Rapid growth led
to a fine church opened in 1885.
After shrinking to the old Sunday school rooms, an amalgamation with the
United Reformed church produced another new Ecumenical church opened in 1998.
DERBY CIRCUIT CHURCHES (Derby East until 2009)
Draycott has a long history of Wesleyan activity with the first chapel possibly
visited by John Wesley in 1780.
The second Wesleyan chapel (1830), on Victoria Road, joined with the Primitive
church in 1966 to form the Draycott Methodist Church.
Borrowash had a Wesleyan Meeting House in 1806, a Wesleyan chapel in 1826,
a Wesleyan church in 1900, a Primitive chapel in 1851 and another in 1903.
In 1949 there was a coming together to form Borrowash Methodist Church.
Mayfield Road 1928
Since the demise of Chesapeake Road, this is the only Methodist Church in the
very large suburb of Chaddesden.
A new church hall was added to replace the wooden hut in the 75th anniversary
Wesleyans (1797) and Primitive Methodists (1860) were active in Spondon long
before this church was built. It opened as a Primitive Methodist church.
The first in the area to be built after the reunion of Methodists in 1932.
Spondon Methodist was head of Derby East.
A new Ecumenical church for a large growing suburb. The building is shared by
two congregations: the Roman Catholics and the combined force of Anglican,
Methodist and United Reformed churches.
A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify,
A never-dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky;
To serve the present age,
My calling to fulfil;
O may it all my powers engage
To do my Master's will!
Top of page